St Andrews 1  –  Downfield  3                     29th April 2017


This was St Andrews last game of the season and with four draws from their last five games they knew they had to take all three points from this game with Downfield if they were to stay in the Premier league next season.

The Saints started the game well and took the game to Downfield but like so many times this season it was the visitors who took the lead, with their first chance of the match, when they broke down the right hand side the ball was fired across the face of the goal and their striker slotted the ball into net. St Andrews continued to put Downfield under pressure and Hendry could have drawn them level but his header went over.Honeyman had the next chance for Saints but his shot hit the bar. St Andrews then found themselves two down when defender Quinn was turned on the edge of the box it allowed the Downfield forward to race in on goal and fire the ball into the net.

Half Time 0-2

The Saints knew they faced a tough task to get themselves back into this match but they had the first real chance of the second half when Honeyman broke down the right and cut into the box but his shot was saved. The Saint where reduced to ten men when defender Jason Quinn was sent off after a incident with a Downfield forward.  Midfielder Aiden Hendry thought he had scored but his shot was cleared off the line. St Andrews pressure finally paid off when Falconer was brought down inside the box and Hendry scored from the penalty spot. St Andrews were then reduced to nine men when Flemming was sent off for his second bookable offence. With the Saints pushing for the equalizer they were caught out with a long ball which allowed Downfield to score their third goal of the match.

Full Time 1-3

This game summed up St Andrews season they had the lion’s share of possession but lost poor goals and failed to make any clear cut chances. The Saints must now rely on other teams if they are to stay in this league next season.


Kennoway Star Hearts  1      –      St Andrews   1          1st April 2017


St Andrews headed to local rivals and league leaders Kennoway. The Saints were looking to take all three points from this game after two consecutive draws. The visitors started the game well and had Kennoway on the back foot. Anthony had the first chance of the game and was unfortunate not to score when his header came back off the bar. Hendry had next chance for St Andrews when he cut in from the left and fired in a shot which the keeper did well to stop but as the ball broke Saints young striker Falconer elected to shoot when he should have picked out one of the player in space inside the box. Kennoway were awarded, what was a seen by many to be, a soft penalty when their player went down easily from Quinn’s challenge. The home side made no mistake with the spot kick and took the lead. St Andrews didn’t let their heads go down and continued to take the game too Kennoway. Their determination was rewarded when they produced a fine move to draw level. McInnes’s pass found Wallace on the edge of the box the striker did well to hold off the defender before playing the ball out to Anthony on the right who fired the ball across the face of the goal where Falconer was on hand to fire the ball into the net. With the half drawing to a close Hendry was again denied by a fine save by the Kennoway goalkeeper.

Half Time 1-1

St Andrews   continued to put the home side under pressure in the early stages of the second half but it was Kennoway who had the first real chance of the half when they hit the bar. The Saints had chances of their own to take the lead Hendry saw another effort saved and Wallace was unlucky when his header went just over the bar. With the game drawing to a close Hendry thought his free kick had secured victory for the Saints but the Kennoway keeper somehow got a hand to it and keep it out.

Full Time 1-1

St Andrews have now drawn their last three games but they will feel that they should have taken more from these matches based on their performances.



            Dundee Violet   2  –  2    St Andrews United      25th March 2017

McInnes, Anthony

St Andrews United travelled across the Tay to meet Dundee Violet in glorious sunshine but returned from the league’s bottom team with only one point, having thrown away a two-goal lead for the second game in a row. Saints’ manager Craig Morrison made two changes to the side that had drawn with Whitburn the previous week by introducing Lea Shiavone in place of himself as well as recalling Ross Graham at left back but neither outfit came close to scoring during the first twenty minutes. Derek Wallace was then fouled on the edge of the Violet box and Ryan McInnes curled a wonderful free kick into the top left hand corner of Gary Thain’s net to give St Andrews United the lead. McInnes subsequently blazed another free kick over the bar following a Milton foul on Ben Anthony in the 35th minute and the captain also found himself on the receiving end of a strong challenge from Hood moments later. Unfortunately, the United forwards failed to trouble Thain from the resulting free kick and the action moved to the other end of the park as half time approached. Rhory Mooney made two great saves from Dignan in order to keep his team ahead at the interval and the Saints’ goalkeeper produced a fantastic third stop just after the break as Violet sought a way back into the contest. However, the St Andrews United defenders did well to deal with a series of balls crossed into their box before the forwards began to take control of proceedings. Shiavone latched onto a good pass from Wallace only to hit the side-netting then Anthony raced clear to make the score 2-0 when he calmly slotted the ball past the advancing Thain in the 53rd minute. The Violet players seemed to lose confidence for the next ten minutes but the away team failed to capitalise, instead picking up silly bookings when Aiden Hendry made a late challenge on Tawse and Anthony kicked the ball away in frustration at being flagged for offside. Violet then pulled a goal back when Tawse headed a corner towards goal, which Scott nodded over the line, and Saints suffered a further blow when Anthony limped off the park to be replaced by Daryl Falconer. The home side consequently pressed for an equaliser and Dignan was handed the perfect chance to draw the scores level when he was felled in the box by Mooney. Violet’s top-scorer required lengthy treatment from his physio but he managed to shake off the knock prior to slotting the penalty kick low to Mooney’s left in the 82nd minute. Both teams then had chances to secure all three points and Wallace came very close to finding the net in the dying stages when his close-range header hit the underside of Thain’s crossbar before bouncing to safety. There was still time for Fleming to receive a booking for fouling Hood on the halfway line, which in turn led to the Violet midfielder picking up a yellow card for dissent, and Graeme Nutt replaced Dylan Honeyman in order to help defend the final free kick of the match. The St Andrews United players were thus happy to see Dignan miss the target with the last shot of the afternoon and a draw seemed like a fair result.
Dundee Violet: Thain, O’Neil (Tovey, 84 mins), Robertson, Milton, Tawse, Hood, Dignan, Bremner, Scott, MacLeod & Hart (McVicar, 64 mins). Goals: Scott (67 mins) and Dignan (82 mins).
Saints: Mooney, Honeyman (Nutt, 92 mins), Graham, McInnes, Fleming, Mayne, Schiavone, Orrock, Wallace, Hendry & Anthony (Falconer, 69 mins). Goals: McInnes (21 mins) and Anthony (53 mins).


St Andrews   3     –    Whitburn   3        18th March 2017

Og, Anthony (2)


St Andrews faced a Whitburn team who like themselves need points to ensure they stay in the East Premier league. Saints manager Craig Morrison made changes to his side after last weekend’s lack lustred performance at Sauchie. The manager included himself in the starting eleven with Scott Main returning after suspension and captain Ryan McInnes returned after being out injured.

It was a nervy start from the St Andrews as Whitburn put them under some early pressure and the Saints found themselves behind after five minutes when the visitors were allowed a free header at the back post. Whitburn could have increased their lead but were denied by Saints goalkeeper Mooney’s fine save. At the other end, Wallace had a good chance to level the score but he put his shot wide. It was all St Andrews at this stage, McInnes saw his shot saved and the home side had a strong penalty claim turned away when Wallace was clearly impeded as he jumped for the ball. The Saints got themselves back on level terms when Anthony cut in from the right and fired the ball across the face of the goal, the ball struck a Whitburn defender and land in the net. The visitor almost regained the lead but their goal bound shot was block by Saints defender Flemming.  The last chance of the half fell to the Saints, when Wallace did well to make some space for himself but his shot was well saved.

Half Time 1-1

St Andrews started the second half well and had Whitburn on the back foot. Morrison had the first chance off the half when slide the ball towards goal but the ball was cleared. The Saints then had a header cleared off the line. Just when it looked like it was not going to be their day St Andrews took the lead when Anthony curled the ball into the top corner of the net. The home side increased their lead when Wallace’s pass found Falconer inside the box the strikers shot was saved but when the ball fell to Anthony he slotted the ball home for his second goal of the match. This should have insured victory for the Saints but has they pushed forward looking for a fourth goal they were caught with a long ball which allowed Whitburn to race forward and score. A misjudged tackle from McInnes inside the box resulted in the captain’s dismissal and a penalty for the visitors. The penalty was converted and Whitburn were level. Hendry almost got the winner for St Andrews but his looping shot went just over.

Full Time 3-3

After being three one up this draw felt like a defeat for St Andrews but if they can keep up this level of performance you feel they will pick up more points.



Sauchie Juniors   6   –  St Andrews   0       11th March 2017


St Andrews headed to title contenders Sauchie knowing they were facing one the leagues in form side and looking to halt their own poor run of results. The  Saints  started well and could have
taken the lead when Wallace’s pass put Anthony through on goal but Sauchie’s keeper made a good save to deny him. A shot by Duffy, from the edge of the box, had the keeper beaten but the ball just went past the post. After the promising start  St Andrews found themselves behind when a long ball forward was laid back to a Sauchie midfielder who slotted the ball into the net. A poor back pass provided the home side with another chance which let them increase their lead courtesy of   an own goal. The Saints had two good chances to get back in this match the first fell to Falconer but he failed to get any contact on a ball fired across the face of goal. Wallace had a similar chance moments later but the keeper saved well. With half time approaching the Saints lost another goal when the striker found space and skipped pass the keeper to score.

Half Time Score 3-0

St Andrews faced an uphill task to get back in this game but could have pulled a goal back when a good ball into the back post found Duffy unmarked but he put his volley wide. Sauchie increased their lead when they attacked down the right flank and when they fired the ball across goal their striker slide the ball into the net despite being outnumbered by Saints defenders. The home side   got their fifth when another long ball forward was not cleared and their striker slotted the ball into net. Sauchie sixth goal was somewhat fortunate when the ball struck the referee and land at the striker’s feet who found the net. Only a   great save from a Wallace free kick prevented Saints from getting a consolation goal.

Full Time Score 6-0

This was heavy defeat for St Andrews but had they taken their chances and defended long balls better they could have given Sauchie more of a challenge.



Musselburgh  5  –  St Andrews 1      4th March 2017


The saints headed to Musselburgh with only eleven players due to suspensions and players being cup tied. Manager Craig Morrison found himself playing centre forward and was unlucky not to score with an overhead kick in the opening stages. St Andrews bad luck continued when a deflected cross gave Musselburgh the lead in the tenth minute. The Saints didn’t let their heads go down after this set back and after some fine build up play Hendry fired the ball into the net to put them back on level terms. Musselburgh’s good fortune continued when they regained the lead after a shot from long range was again deflected and sent the visitors keeper the wrong way. Five minutes before the break Saints were reduced to ten men when Shivonie was sent off for dissent.

Half Time Score   2-1

The first chance of the second half fell to Musselburgh when they found space inside the box but they fired the ball over the bar. The next period of the match belonged to the Saints and only two great saves from the home keeper prevented St Andrew’s from scoring. The first stop was when  Morrisons broke free and found himself one on one with the keeper but he turned his shot onto the post then five minutes later he denied Morrison again with another fine save. The game was over as a contest when a through ball found Musselburgh’s number ten and he slotted the ball past Hughes for their third goal. A tired Saints team conceded another two goals in the closing stages of the game.

Full Time Score   5-1

This was always going to be a difficult match for St Andrews but when the team went down to ten men it was mission impossible but it was a spirited performance. This now leaves them free to concentrate on their forthcoming league fixtures






[cs_column column_size=”1/2″ flex_column_section_title=”St Andrews 0  –  Glenrothes 2″]

This was an important match for both teams a win for the Saints would draw Glenrothes into the relegation battle and victory for the Glens would probably secure their Premier league status for next season. The Saints started the match well and were denied a strong penalty claim when Wallace was impeded as he was about to shoot. Minutes later the Glenrothes goal keeper prevented Orrock from giving St Andrews the lead when flipped his header over the bar. Glenrothes started to get themselves into the match and had a good chance but their shot hit the side netting. It was Glenrothes who eventually broke the deadlock when a long ball into the box allowed their striker to turn Saints defender Jason Quinn before drilling the ball into the net. St Andrews had a great chance to draw level before the break but Hendry couldn’t turn Duffy’s fine ball into the net.

It was the visitors who started the second half best and only two fine saves from Saints keeper Mooney prevented them from increasing their lead. St Andrews reacted to this early pressure and left back Ross Graham forced the Glens keeper to make a good save to preserve their lead. Glenrothes were awarded a somewhat soft free kick which they curled into the net to increase their lead. With the game drawing to a close St Andrews had a good chance to pull a goal back when the Glenrothes keeper misjudged a cross ball but there was no one on hand to turn the ball into the net.

After last week’s fine performance at Tranent where the Saint should have won comfortably this was a game where they never really put their opponents under any real pressure and failed to get the ball into the box early enough.[/cs_column]

Leave a Reply